Monday, April 14, 2008

Dude...

We now have an official Drexel University sticker on our car. Spent Friday night and Saturday in Philly for Accepted Students Weekend. Meghan and I had been to several of the "sessions" when we first visited last year so this time we did a little exploring on our own. One stop was an old (seriously, oooolllldddd) dorm building with suites in it (apparently suites are not difficult for freshmen to get at Drexel).

Meghan dragged me in there, even though I protested that we wouldn't get past the front desk. But we did. Some very cute freshman boy spotted us and offered to give us a tour of the building. Very entertaining. Especially when he opened the door to his suite. Dishes piled mile high in the sink, DISGUSTING bathroom, six guys in the living room playing a video game, and one very shocked young man who came around the corner, took one look at me and slowly dropped his jaw to the floor.

I look like a mother. It's really annoying. At that point, I started apologizing all over the place and backing out of the room, but the cute freshman boy who offered us the tour insisted that he wanted us to see the suite.

Then this surfer dude type guy opens the bedroom door, wearing sunglasses. He looks at me, looks at Meghan. Looks some more. And says, "Are you guys here for Accepted Students Day?" Meghan, always the cheerful little girl, chirps, "Yes!" And he responds - and I'm directly quoting here (but you can imagine the surfer dude drawl that accompanied this) – "Dude, you should totally come here next year. It's AWESOME. I was down on this place when I first got here but I stuck it out. It's a great school, man."

I had to BITE my tongue not to laugh. Totally made the weekend, dudettes.

At the end of the day, Meghan took part in a master dance class - an audition to try to score a little more scholarship money and to meet the director of the dance program. She did really well; the director called her back out at one point to do a routine again, which is usually a very good sign. So we'll see. We met a lot of girls minoring in dance and their parents. It was really pretty fun. We also met the director of her major - Arts & Entertainment Management - and learned a lot about what that will entail.

Anna, meantime, had a delightful time at the freshman semi, with the "no I'm NOT dating him; we're just friends" sophomore who presented her with a corsage of tiny white roses. Even Howard texted me in Philadelphia that he was "a cutie." Can you even imagine Howard saying anyone is a "cutie"? Weird!

In one week, we'll all be on our way to Grand Cayman for a spring break vacation - probably the last one all together for awhile. I'm excited about this one - it's a British island, so everything is just that much more upscale and ... British. :)
Cheerio!

4 comments:

Kym in the Gym said...

Duuuuuuude...like, RIGHTEOUS MAN!!! Like I am sooooo catching a wave to Florida this Sunday for 5 days....!!! hahahaha

And you have to be a Republican to collect the G.W. Bush money by now!!!! hahaha No, just kidding...I have not received mine yet..think it is coming in May according to the news...Whatever...I'll take it though.
Hey...get me a Dragon's bumper sticker! It will go nicely with my George Washington tshirt!

Gretchen O'G said...

You people make me sick...just wait until you have tuition bills..

Kym in the Gym said...

Duuuude....What's with HER???!!!

Gretchen O'G said...

NEW POST PLEASE!!!!