Thursday, May 29, 2008

I am ... Wait, WHAT am I???

I'm weird. I'm old. I laugh too loud. I'm completely wrong about this, that or the other thing. Just in case you didn't know.

High school graduation time is a very stressful time. And I'm not the one graduating. There are all these damn dates to keep track of, all these end of the year things, all these checks to write for God knows what. Including the perennial Senior Class Up All Night party, which I swear we paid for way back in the fall. And there isn't one comprehensive bit of information about any of this.

Here's where we're at ... at present. Meghan finished up classes last Friday and took her sole final (in Honors Physics, for God's sake) yesterday. So she is officially done with high school. This after a week of dressing up like a nerd, Audrey Hepburn and in a toga. That last one was something - did you know there are directions for making a toga on YouTube?

Anyway, she's done. All but the Baccalaureate, Scholarship Night, Senior breakfast, Senior lunch, graduation rehearsal, mock car crash attendance, distribution of yearbooks and caps and gowns, and ... oh yes ... graduation. She graduates on Sunday, June 8, at 2 p.m. And no, Beverly High School does not issue graduation announcements. So I am reduced to letting grandparents know by phone and you people by blog. How lame is that?

I've tried to entice the matriarch to come down for this momentous ceremony, which at the moment doesn't seem likely. Howard's parents are coming with Pam and Frank, probably, and we'll have a casual dinner after the ceremony before Megs has to leave for this "up all night" party.

Which brings me to the topic of my blog. The graduation party. I suggest having a big one after graduation. Meghan nixes every single Saturday and Sunday through the month of June until the last weekend. Why? Because she has to go to seven graduation parties already scheduled at other people's houses. (And this would be because she hemmed and hawed earlier when I tried to schedule something). When I express just a bit of frustration over not being able to throw her a graduation party -- at least for her friends -- she tells me Howard and I are weird and she wouldn't want us at a party with her friends. OKKKKKKKK... So we'll just provide the food, say hello and watch a baseball game while they take over the house.

(Mind you, I've been told by several of Meghan and Anna's friends that we are cool, hip parents -- just not to Meghan and Anna). ... It's OK. I'm over it.

We are having a graduation party for adults and any high schoolers Meghan wants to invite on Saturday, June 28, in the mid afternoon. And you two and your families are both invited (actually, so is mom and so, probably, are other siblings). There is no pressure for you to be there, but if you can make it, I would love it. If not, no worries.

Watch my blog over the next week and I'll try to post some choice photos of things like "the prom". ;) And please God just let me get through the next 9 days.

1 comment:

Gretchen O'G said...

as long as there are no floods fires hurricanes or earthquakes I think this family may actually make it! What do you suggest for accomodations?? sib #1